Thursday, August 27, 2009

Must be football season

I have the honor of coaching both my sons in tackle football this year. What a wonderful experience. They play on different teams but are both doing well. This is the 4th year of tackle for Chase. I remember his 1st year and how he was doing well as a third grader but didn't really like it all that much. Contact is a different kind of animal. Now he has become a dominate offensive and defensive lineman. It has been a fun ride to watch. Peyton has bigger aspirations. He wants to be a quarterback. I told him going in how hard that position is to play and the toughness it takes. He dreams of playing in the NFL like Ben Roethlisberger he says. After one week of contact he was ready to cash in those dreams for anything else. He told Hope he doesn't like tackle all that much. Now understand he is an all out kind of kid. He has been hitting harder than anybody on the team. I think he has hurt others and himself more than any other player in our hamburger drills. Knowing how well he was doing this was a bit of a shock to me. I sat down and talked with him about how your body adjusts and gets used to the contact. I had him talk to his big brother who had bruises all over his arms but didn't even notice the pain that went with them. It got me thinking. How often do we give up on dreams as it got too tough to achieve. Without the supporting cast around us what have we given up on? A better question is what have I given up on? I think it is time for me to revisit some dreams of mine and see what I can come up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment