Thursday, June 18, 2009

Self Esteem

Self esteem has not been much of a problem for me in my life. I don't know why that is exactly. I know I'm not the best looking cat on the planet. I'm 37 and gravity is fighting me hard to physically stay in respectable shape. I am smart but there are plenty smarter than I. I came from a good family but not one that didn't have its issues. I have been pondering this issue of self esteem, however, because it seems to be attacking so many people around me. Why do I feel so self assured and others don't? I still don't know the answer to that one but I have gotten a better understanding of what goes on when someone struggles with self esteem. I think childhood plays a huge part in this and that is nothing new to anyone. What I think also plays a part is perception. In American culture sex/sexiness has become super significant. For a woman that is huge. If they don't feel pretty then that hits the self esteem hard. I think that plays a big role today. Not only that but the "housewife" title has been beat to a pulp by media. No longer is it seen as a positive. It is the butt of so many jokes in mainstream America. Couple those and no wonder self esteem in women is down. For men, we wrap so much of ourselves up in what we do for a living it's sad. I can't help but think with the economy hurting means more men are questioning their own abilities. Hence low self esteem. I will continue to explore this topic but thought I would share what I'm thinking for today. Have a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment